This summer, the Buffalo Philharmonic will perform at 11 of Western New York’s most iconic parks and venues.
The summer season begins with a performance at the Ellicottville Music Festival at 8 p.m. Saturday, July 2, featuring the music of heroes and villains. The orchestra will be in downtown Buffalo the following night for the annual Independence Eve celebration following the Buffalo Bisons – Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders game at 6:05 p.m. The concert will be conducted by Stefan Sanders and includes a spectacular post-concert fireworks display.
Return to Artpark
JoAnn Falletta’s sole appearance on the BPO podium this summer will come on Sunday, July 24, as the orchestra returns to Artpark with an all-Beethoven program.
On Tuesday, July 19, the BPO joins the global commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare with a free concert in Delaware Park. Actors from Shakespeare in the Park join the BPO for an evening of music and scenes from Shakespeare’s works, presented on the newly-renovated Shakespeare in the Park stage. This is a free concert.
Bowie at Canalside
After an extremely well-received performance with the BPO in March, the Jeans n’ Classics band returns to join the BPO on July 28 to perform “The Music of David Bowie” on the Free Thursday Summer Concert Series at Canalside.
Patriotic Flair at Old Fort Niagara
The BPO’s summer season concludes with an outdoor concert at Old Fort Niagara at 8 p.m.Sunday, July 31.
Free concerts in the parks
They will perform at Knox Farm in East Aurora, Tonawanda’s Niawanda Park, Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park, and the Clarence Town Park.
Full BPO Summer schedule
- Ellicottville Summer Music Festival, Ellicottville, NY: Saturday, July 2 at 8 p.m. (tickets:ellicottvilleny.com or 800-349-9099)
- Independence Eve with the Bisons, Coca-Cola Field, downtown Buffalo: Sunday, July 3, immediately following the 6:05 p.m. baseball game (tickets: bisons.com or (716) 843-4373)
- BPO at Knox Farm, East Aurora, NY: Thursday, July 7 at 7 p.m. (rain date: Friday, July 8 at 7 p.m.) (free concert)
- BPO at Niawanda Park, Tonawanda: Sunday, July 10 at 7 p.m. (free concert)
- BPO at M&T Bank Plaza, downtown Buffalo: Tuesday, July 12 at 11:45 a.m. (free concert)
- BPO at Chestnut Ridge Park, Orchard Park: Saturday, July 16 at 7 pm. (free concert)
- BPO celebrates Shakespeare, Delaware Park, Buffalo: Tuesday, July 19 at 7 p.m. (free concert)
- BPO at Clarence Town Park, Clarence: Wednesday, July 20 at 7 p.m. (free concert)
- BPO Fantasy Camp concert, Kleinhans Music Hall: Friday, July 22 at 7 p.m. (open to BPO subscribers and donors only)
- JoAnn Falletta conducts an afternoon of Beethoven, Artpark: Sunday, July 24 at 3 p.m.(tickets: artpark.net or (716) 754-4375)
- The Music of David Bowie, Canalside Buffalo: Thursday, July 28. Doors at 5 p.m., BPO takes the stage at approximately 8 p.m. (free concert)
- BPO at Old Fort Niagara, Youngstown: Sunday, July 31 at 8 p.m. (tickets: bpo.org or (716) 885-5000)